Saturday, December 1, 2007

Fat Phobic

There are a lot of things that being fat keeps me from doing. I won't be scuba diving any time soon, or riding roller coasters, or even riding a bike (those seats are killer on my behind!) And I know there's a lot of judgment about overweight people. I've been subject to it enough in my life to know.

But somehow, there's something wrong with denying someone the right to adopt a child - their own blood relative - because of their weight. An adoption agency thought it would be a good idea to disrupt the life of this baby and place it with another family for adoption based on someone's appearance!? This family was clearly committed. The 550 pound man underwent gastric bypass and has dropped 200 pounds. But should he have had to?

I just don't think so. Are they going to deny a baby to a diabetic? Someone in a wheelchair? Someone who's blind? Deaf? Black? White? When does it cross the line into discrimination?

As far as I'm concerned, this just goes too far.

No comments:

Queen Bee's Buzzin' on Down

King Harley's Revvin' on Down